Friday, January 21, 2011

Support For Our Soldiers...

I’m not a brave person. There is no way that I could have joined the military and survived anything other than a desk job in the States. So, I have tremendous respect and admiration for the men and women who do sign up for our armed forces…often at a ridiculously young age. (I don’t want to go off on a tangent…but let me just say I find it absurd that our gov’t and society will allow 18-yr olds to die in battle on our behalf…but they are prevented from doing so many other things because of their youth. For example…consume or purchase alcohol off-base. Or rent a car without paying outrageous “under 21” fees. Joe Army can drive a tank for the US gov’t…but he can’t rent a car from Budget. Seriously?)


My little brother is planning to join the Navy this year. I am terrified for him…but at the same time, I am so proud of him…and I think it is a good decision for him. My uncle, my father, and both grandfathers served in various divisions of the armed forces…as well as many of my close friends.

So…because I am not a brave person…I try to find ways to show my support for our troops. I’ve been pen-pals with soldiers (who also happen to be pool enthusiasts), I have visited military bases with the other WPBA ladies to play challenge matches and socialize with these brave young men and women…and most recently, I have taken to sending care packages to soldiers stationed overseas. I love doing this…as it gives me the warmest of fuzzies to know that these packages help to keep our deployed soldiers more comfortable and happy while they are stationed far from home, friends, and family.

If you want to support a soldier, there are many websites that can help you. You can join their services and “adopt” a soldier or troop…or you can research things such as the most requested/popular items (I was recently asked for chapstick, lotion and foot powder) or easiest/cheapest shipping methods (USPS has a flat rate box for APO/FPO addresses. The box is free, the shipping is $12.50).

http://www.anysoldier.com/

http://www.herobox.org/

http://www.opgratitude.com/

http://www.ustroopcarepackage.com/

http://www.operationshoebox.com/

As a side note…if you are interested in sending a care package…but don’t have a lot of money to spend...you can always involve your friends and family by asking them for donations. My most recent care package had all kinds of things donated by my friends…microwave popcorn, hot chocolate packages, CD’s, razors, lotions, deodorants, powdered drink mixes, etc. These were items that my friends had extras of…or were able to give away without impacting their household budget too badly.

(And if anyone wants advice or wants to contribute to one of my future care packages…you can always email me at herndonmc@gmail.com)

1 comment:

  1. I love this and I am totally doing this now. What a fabulously beautiful and worthwhile concept. Thanks for the info!!

    ReplyDelete